Playwright Dominique Morisseau and Tony® and Obie Award winning actor and director Ruben Santiago-Hudson team up with Atlantic Theater Company (Neil Pepe, Artistic Director; Jeffory Lawson, Managing Director) to present the world premiere of Morisseau ’s play Skeleton Crew.
This weekend I made my way downtown to check out the new play at The Public Theater that everyone is buzzing about, Barbecue by Robert O’ Hara. I am happy to give this unique evening of theatre the Arts in Color seal of approval.
Playwright Tracey Scott Wilson (The Good Negro, The Story) returns to The Public with BUZZER, a three character drama.
Jackson (Grantham Coleman), an upwardly mobile black attorney, has just bought an apartment in a transitioning neighborhood in Brooklyn. He sees the potential of his old neighborhood, as does his white girlfriend Suzy (Tessa Ferrer), at first. When Jackson’s childhood friend Don (Michael Stahl-David) leaves rehab to crash with them, the trio quickly becomes trapped between the tensions inside their own home and the dangers that may lurk outside.
This weekend I saw The Liquid Plain, a play by Naomi Wallace, at the Signature Theatre Off-Broadway. After attending an inspiring talk with the director, Kwame Kwei-Armah, I was eager to see this piece. Complex and thought provoking, The Liquid Plain offers a narrative based on true events. Billed as a story about 2 runaway slaves, Adjua and Dembi, on the docks of late 18th century Rhode Island, the play offers polished performances and high production values. Continue reading
Arts in Color is honored to share the stories of Jennifer Lim (Sunny) and Telly Leung (Pete) of The World of Extreme Happiness as they premiere this intense and enlightening piece of theater, this month, Off-Broadway.
I hope you had the chance to make it over to the Acorn Theatre at Theatre Row to see Brendan at the Chelsea before it left New York for its UK tour. All the way from the Lyric Theatre in Belfast, Northern Ireland, 5 incredible actors brought their skills to 42nd street. Directed by and starring Adrian Dunbar in the titular role, the play recounts the iconic Irish novelist and playwright Brendan Behan’s (The Borstal Boy, The Hostage) time in New York City during the 1960s as he struggles to finish his last book and kick his drinking habit before it kills him. Continue reading
Get caught up on some of the top stories from last week!
- The Trip to the Bountiful Begins Previews on Broadway Tonight-BroadwayWorld
- Godspell‘s Celisse Henderson Will Join Mamma Mia!‘s Blake Whyte for “More Like Myself” Album Release Concert-Playbill
- Audra McDonald Will Be Part of Shakespeare Theatre Company’s Classic Conversations Series-Playbill
- Final Title of La Jolla Playhouse’s 2013-14 Season to be The Who & The What, by Disgraced‘s Ayad Akhtar–Playbill
- Daniel Breaker Will Host The Play Company’s Tenth Annual Cabaret Gourmet– Playbill
- Show Boat Will Play Month-Long Engagement at Kennedy Center Opera House; Principal Cast Announced-Playbill
- Tony Winner LaChanze Will Pay Tribute to Diana Ross at 54 Below-Playbill
- Broadway Unplugged Will Feature Rebecca Naomi Jones–Playbill
- Playbill Video Debuts New Series “Hot Off the Ivories,” (created Joey Contreras) Collection of Contemporary Musical Theatre Songs-Playbill
- Young Jean Lee‘s We’re Gonna Die Will Play Lincoln Center Theater Encore Run-Playbill
- Casting Complete for Guthrie Theater Production of Clybourne Park–Playbill
- Casting Announced for Celebration Theatre’s Workshop of Kissing Che–Playbill
- A Time to Kill, the Race-Based Court Drama, Aiming for Broadway Bow in October-Playbill
- Rush Ticket Policy Announced for Broadway Revival of Pippin–Playbill
- Filles de Joie Cabaret, With Rona Figueroa, Plays Soho House NY March 25- Playbill
- LaChanze, Set for 2013 Playwrights Gala Heroines, Honoring Women Writers-Playbill
- The New Producers on the Block-Theatremania
TonyAwards.com Puts a “Spotlight On” This Year’s Contenders-Theatermania
- O’Neill Center’s Cabaret Conference Accepting Applications; Donna McKechnie on Faculty-Playbill
- Olivier Awards Overhaul Judging Process; Producers and Theatre Owners to Vote in Addition to Panel-Playbill
- Music Circus Season to Feature Wizard of Oz, Show Boat, Sugar, Chicago and More-Playbill
- Broadcast Dates Announced for 86th and 87th Academy Awards-Playbill
- FCC’s Plans to Move Cordless Microphone Frequencies Could Disrupt Broadway Airwaves-BroadwayWorld
Corrections?? Feel free to send us a line via our Contact Page.
Have you heard of this??
Every year the Public Theater hosts a group of emerging playwrights, and in the spring they present free readings of all their shows.
‘EWG, which targets playwrights at the early stages of their career, is part of the Public Writers Initiative, a long-term program that supports and develops works by writers throughout their careers. The program has produced 50-70 readings and workshops per season in recent years.’
More detailed information on the program can be found in this Playbill article.
Clickhere for a list of the playwrights, dates/times of the readings, and a brief synopsis of the shows.
The Public’s blog also features the writers. Check it out here.
I went last year and thought it was a really solid opportunity to stay current with the theater community. I was exposed to a lot of promising material and the work was great. An added benefit?? Many of the playwrights and directors are artists of color. Matthew and I will be attending some of shows and hope to cover them on here in the future!
Tickets for the Emerging Writers Group Spotlight Series are free, but must be reserved in advance by calling the Public Theater Box Office at 212.967.7555.